Vitamins are quite fragile and tend to degrade during cooking, oxygen ... Also, we often have bad habits of consumption or preservation.
To prevent the vitamins from deteriorating before we ingest them, we must therefore ensure a suitable mode of consumption and storage!
Here are some tips and tricks to take full advantage of the benefits of vitamins.
Our advices :
- Favor packaging that protects from the air and light,
- Avoid leaving fruits and vegetables, rich in water-soluble vitamins, stagnant in the water at the time of cleaning.
- Choose raw foods.
- Prefer fast cooking modes.
Example : to absorb as much vitamin C as possible, it is better to eat an orange, rather than squeeze it, and drink its juice only several minutes later.
Scurvy: a strong vitamin C deficiency
If you still suffer from hypovitaminosis C, scurvy has rather disappeared ... How to avoid a lack of vitamin C?
- Also read: How to store food in the fridge?
Should we take vitamin supplements?
In theory, a balanced diet can cover all the needs of the body in terms of vitamins. In practice, things are less obvious.
Why ? Simply because many people have an unbalanced diet, either voluntarily or involuntarily. There are only three examples:
- repeated diets, which exclude certain food categories, and lead to vitamin deficiencies;
- the abuse of junk food, too rich in fast sugars and saturated fats, and low in vitamins;
- the consumption of over-refined products or stored for too long to keep their valuable vitamins.
The consumption of food supplements, in general, and vitamins in particular, has now become commonplace: everyone wants to become a player in their health and fight against the effects of aging.Attention, however to self-medication: it is better to take the advice of a doctor or a pharmacist in case of possible supplementation in the long course. This, to avoid the risks of overdose and harmfulness of a vitamin taken wrongly.
For example, excessive consumption of vitamin A - a major antioxidant - may have health effects and cause the opposite result to the expected result ...You want to react, to give your testimony or to ask a question? See you in our FORUMS Nutrition or A doctor answers you!
Read also :
> Cook with vitamins!
> These foods that prevent cancer!
> What are food supplements for?
Source: French Agency for Food Safety (Afssa). Study Suvimax, Inserm, Inra.