Menopause appears at a turning point in the life of all women. It is a physiological period of a woman's life when the ovaries stop producing reproductive hormones (progesterone and estrogen). As a result, the rules disappear, and the woman loses her fertility.
Menopause appears around the age of 50. A woman is considered to be menopausal after at least 12 months of menstruation.
In France, 7% of women aged 40-44, and 83% of women aged 50-54 are menopausal. When menopause occurs before age 40, we speak of early menopause.
When talking about menopause, it is important to distinguish several phases:
- Premenopause : hormonal transition period, which corresponds to the gradual disappearance of ovulation and a beginning of the slowing down of the ovaries. It spans a 2- to 7-year period before menopause, and can begin in the early 40s.
- Menopause : definitive cessation of the functioning of the ovaries, therefore by stopping menstruation. It occurs on average at the age of 51.
- Postmenopausal or confirmed enopause : the period following menopause, that is, the definitive cessation of menstruation.
- Perimenopause : period beginning about 2 years before and ending about 2 years after menopause (usually between 49 and 53 years old).
Schematic presentation of the different phases:
Warning signs may appear several years before menopause is premenopause. The symptoms, whose intensity varies from one woman to another, can be quite troublesome.
Here are the typical symptoms:
- a changing mood,
- irregular menstrual cycles,
- some hot flashes,
- a less libido,
- painful intercourse, etc.
Some women are lucky to have no symptoms. But for all menopausal women, the loss of estrogen favors certain pathologies, including osteoporosis and cardiovascular diseases.
However, these pathologies can be avoided most of the time by reducing the risk factors: by eating less, better, by doing a little physical exercise.You want to react, to give your testimony or to ask a question? Appointment in our FORUMS Menopause, Gynecology or A doctor answers you!
Read also :
> Menopause: the essential thing to know
> Pre-menopause: recognize the first signs
> The menstrual cycle: how exactly does it work?
> Symptoms of Menopause: Homeopathy Can Help
> Early menopause: causes, symptoms and treatments