Generic drug of the therapeutic class: Gastro-Entero-Hepatology
active ingredients: Sulfaguanidine
laboratory: Merck Family Medication
Box of 20
Acute diarrhea suspected of bacterial origin in the absence of suspicion of invasive phenomena (deterioration of the general state, fever, toxi-infectious signs ...).
The treatment does not dispense dietary measures and rehydration if it is necessary.
The importance of rehydration by oral or intravenous rehydration solution should be adapted according to the intensity of the diarrhea, the age and the peculiarities of the patient (associated diseases, ...).
Dosage ENTEROPATHYL 500 mg Tablet Box of 20
RESERVED FOR THE ADULT.
4 to 6 tablets a day, to be divided in the day in 2 to 3 doses.
The duration of treatment is limited to 7 days.
This medicine is CONTRAINDICATED in the following situations:
- hypersensitivity to sulfonamides or another component,
- G6PD deficiency, including in the breastfed child: risk of triggering haemolysis,
- severe renal insufficiency,
- severe hepatic insufficiency,
- during breastfeeding if the newborn is less than 1 month old : breastfeeding is contraindicated if the mother or child has a G6PD deficiency, in order to prevent the occurrence of haemolysis. With sulfonamides with a long half-life, nuclear jaundices have been reported in neonates. As a result, breastfeeding is contraindicated when the newborn is less than one month old.
- in case of intolerance to gluten, due to the presence of wheat starch.
NOT RECOMMENDED :
This medicine is NOT RECOMMENDED in the following situations:
- pregnancy and lactation when the infant is older than 1 month: there is no reliable data on teratogenesis in animals. In clinical practice, there are currently no data of sufficient relevance to assess the possible malformative or foetotoxic effect of this drug when administered during pregnancy. In neonates exposed in utero and deficient in G6PD, haemolysis has been reported. In addition, cases of kernicterus, after maternal exposure at the end of pregnancy, have been reported with sulfonamides with a long half-life, due to the immaturity of the bilirubin detoxifying systems in the newborn. As a result, the use of this drug is not recommended during pregnancy.
- in combination with methenamine and phenytoin.
Enteropathyl side effects
- Digestive disorders : nausea, vomiting, gastralgia.
- Skin manifestations : rash, urticaria, exceptionally: Lyell syndrome.
- Haematological manifestations : haemolytic anemia, agranulocytosis, methemoglobinemia.
The cutaneous or hematological manifestations require the immediate and definitive stop of the treatment.
- Renal disorders : Cases of renal impairment have been reported.