Generic drug of the therapeutic class: Gastro-Entero-Hepatology
active ingredients: Lactulose
laboratory: Abbott Products
Bottle (+ scoop) of 200 ml
· Symptomatic treatment of constipation.
· Hepatic encephalopathy.
Dosage DUPHALAC 66, 5% Oral solution Bottle (+ scoop) of 200 ml
This medicine can be taken pure or diluted in a drink.
This medicine must be dissolved in water.
A graduation of 15 ml of this drug = 10 g of lactulose.
The dosage should be adapted to each subject according to the results obtained.
The daily dosage is on average:
Infants from 0 to 12 months: 1 graduation of 5 ml per day.
Children from 1 to 6 years: 1 graduation of 5 ml at 1 graduation of 10 ml per day.
Children from 7 to 14 years:
· Attack treatment: 1 graduation of 15 ml per day.
· Maintenance treatment: 1 graduation of 10 ml per day.
· Attack treatment: 1 graduation of 15 ml at 3 graduations of 15 ml per day.
· Maintenance treatment: 1 graduation of 10 ml at 1 graduation of 25 ml per day.
If diarrhea develops, reduce the dosage.
In all cases, the ideal dose is that which leads to 2 soft stools per day.
The duration of treatment varies according to the symptomatology:
· Gastric tube attack or enema treatment in case of coma or pre-coma:
o gastric tube: 90 to 150 ml or 3 to 5 graduations of 30 ml, pure or diluted in water,
o enema with balloon catheter: 300 ml or 10 graduations of 30 ml in 1 liter of warm water to keep 20 minutes to an hour; can be repeated if necessary 12 hours later.
· Relay treatment: 15 to 30 ml or 1 graduation of 15 ml at 1 graduation of 30 ml, 3 times a day.
· Hypersensitivity to lactulose or any of the ingredients.
· Inflammatory organic colopathies (ulcerative colitis, Crohn's disease), occlusive or subocclusive syndrome, digestive perforation or suspicion of perforation, abdominal pain syndromes of undetermined cause.
· Congenital galactosemia.
Duphalac side effects
· Bloating, semi-liquid stools.
These phenomena can occur at the beginning of treatment. They stop after adjustment of the dosage.
· Rare cases of pruritus, anal pain and moderate weight loss.