Generic Drug Therapeutic Class: Neurology-Psychiatry
active ingredients: Methysergide
laboratory: Novartis Pharma SA
Box of 20
Treatment of migraine headaches and vascular pain of the face.
Dosage DESERNIL SANDOZ 1.65 mg Tablet Box of 20
Reserved for adults.
- The administration must be progressive: start with a half-tablet, at the evening meal, for a few days. This daily dose may be increased to 2 or 3 tablets a day, with meals. After a few weeks of treatment, look for a gradual reduction in the effective maintenance dose (see section on warnings and precautions for use).
- Continuous administration must not exceed six months.
- Known hypersensitivity to methysergide or any of the components.
- Pregnancy: administration is contraindicated during pregnancy due to residual oxytocic activity.
- Peripheral circulation disorders, especially arterial, poorly controlled blood pressure, valvulopathy, coronary insufficiency.
- Severe renal or hepatic insufficiency.
- Temperate arteritis.
- Hemiplegic or basilar migraine.
- History of fibrosis of medicinal origin.
- Obstructive diseases of the upper urinary tract.
- Severe infectious states, cachexia.
- Association with triptans (almotriptan, frovatriptan, naratriptan, rizatriptan, sumatriptan, zolmitriptan, eletriptan) (see section interactions).
Due to the presence of lactose, this drug is contraindicated in cases of congenital galactosemia, glucose-galactose malabsorption syndrome or lactase deficiency.
NOT RECOMMENDED :
- Breast-feeding is contraindicated during use of this medication: Due to the passage of methysergide in breast milk, breast-feeding is contraindicated while using this medication.
- Absorption of alcohol is strongly discouraged during the course of treatment.
Side effects Desernil Sandoz
- May occur:
. Nausea and vomiting, which can be reduced in case of food intake.
. Insomnia, dizziness, transient changes in mood, skin reactions (skin rashes and urticaria), edema, arterial vasoconstriction.
. Chest pain (angina), abdominal pain, cold, painful, numb extremities, with or without paresthesia and a decreased or absent pulse.
. Isolated cases of myocardial infarction have been reported, particularly in patients for whom contraindications to coronary artery disease or the use of vasoconstrictor drugs have not been respected.
- Risks of uninterrupted long-term treatment:
. Retroperitoneal fibrosis may cause obstruction of the urinary tract with dysuria or oliguria, lumbar and / or abdominal pain, circulatory failure of the lower extremities.
. Pleuropulmonary fibrosis may result in chest pain, dyspnea, rubbing or pleural effusion.
. Rare cases of pericardial fibrosis or heart valves have been reported.
- These events usually go away after stopping treatment.