Generic drug of the therapeutic class: Rheumatology
Active ingredients: Dantrolene
laboratory: Merck Sante
Box of 50
- Treatment of advanced forms of pyramidal spasticity associated with hemiplegia, paraplegia and multiple sclerosis.
Dantrolene is particularly useful in patients with good residual motility and in whom spasticity is a significant barrier to functional rehabilitation.
- Prevention of perianesthetic malignant hyperthermia.
The administration of dantrolene does not preclude the application of other general preventive measures of malignant hyperthermia.
Dosage DANTRIUM 25 mg Capsule Box of 50
- Advanced forms of spasticity:
. The optimal daily dosage is individual depending on efficacy and tolerance so as to eliminate only troublesome manifestations of spasticity.
. Administer treatment during meals in 2 to 3 doses per day.
. Start treatment at 25 mg per day and increase gradually in fractions of 25 mg, without exceeding 400 mg per day.
. Each new dosage should be maintained for several days in order to evaluate the clinical results before increasing the dose again.
. The duration of treatment is limited to 6 weeks. If no improvement has occurred by this date, it seems pointless to continue treatment beyond that.
- Prevention of perianesthetic malignant hyperthermia:
It may be necessary to use doses of 1 to 2 mg / kg, 4 hours and 8 to 12 hours before surgery, or every 6 to 8 hours for 3 days.
- Severe hepatocellular insufficiency.
- Hypersensitivity or intolerance to gluten, due to the presence of wheat starch (gluten).
- Due to the presence of lactose, this drug is contraindicated in case of congenital galactosemia, glucose-galactose malabsorption syndrome or lactase deficiency.
NOT RECOMMENDED :
Pregnancy: In the absence of adequate clinical and methodological study, the safety of dantrolene in pregnant women has not been formally established. As a result, continued treatment requires a risk-based benefit / risk estimate with increased pregnancy surveillance.
- Breast-feeding: In the absence of data on the passage into breast milk, breastfeeding is not recommended when treatment with this medicine.
Dantrium side effects
- At the beginning of treatment, it is not uncommon to observe symptoms of central origin (somnolence, vertigo, asthenia, confusional disorders), usually regressive, which is why it is recommended to gradually increase the doses looking for the optimal dosage.
- Hepatotoxicity (see warnings and precautions for use: elevated transaminases, isolated or possibly associated with a moderate increase in bilirubin, but also cytolytic hepatitis) rarely for doses <= 200 mg / day.
- Digestive disorders: gastralgia, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea.
- Urinary system: possibility of incontinence by sphincteric relaxation.
An orange coloring of the urine, due to the presence of dantrolene, sometimes appears during treatment.
- Rash, rarely of acneiform appearance.
- In a totally isolated way:
. haematological disorder: leukopenia, aplastic anemia, lymphoid lymphoma,
. heart failure.