Generic drug of the therapeutic class: Ophthalmology
active ingredients: Colistimethate Sodium, Hydrocortisone, Bacitracine
laboratory: Daleco Pharma
Powder and solvent for eye drops in solution
Bottle of powder + 5 ml solvent bottle
- Anti-inflammatory and antibacterial local treatment of the eye:
. in the aftermath of ophthalmic surgery,
. infections due to bacitracin and colistin-sensitive organisms with an inflammatory component.
- Official recommendations regarding the proper use of antibacterials should be taken into account.
Dosage BACICOLIN BACITRACIN 25 MIU% / 1% / 50 000 IU% Powder and solvent for eye drops in solution Powder vial + 5 ml solvent bottle
In ocular instillation.
1 drop of eye drops, 3 to 8 times a day.
Instil 1 drop of eye drops into the lower conjunctival cul-de-sac of the affected eye (or eyes) while looking upward and pulling the lower eyelid slightly downward.
Do not touch the eye or eyelids with the tip of the vial.
Recap the bottle after use. Duration of treatment: on average 7 days.
Longer treatment may be prescribed under strict ophthalmic monitoring.
Hypersensitivity to one of the constituents of eye drops, in particular bacitracin and colistin (antibiotics of the family of polypeptides).
- Herpetic epithelial dendritic keratitis, mycotic keratitis, epidemic viral keratoconjunctivitis at an early stage.
NOT RECOMMENDED :
- The use of this medication should be avoided in infants.
Pregnancy: Studies in animals have not shown any teratogenic effect. In the absence of teratogenic effect in animals, a malformative effect in the human species is not expected. Indeed, to date, the substances responsible for malformations in the human species have proved teratogenic in animals in well conducted studies on two species. Clinically, there are currently no data of sufficient relevance to assess the possible malformative effect of colistin when administered during pregnancy. However, it is not possible to exclude fetal nephrotoxicity. As a result, the use of this drug is not recommended during pregnancy.
- Breast-feeding: given its pharmacokinetic properties and the intestinal immaturity of the newborn, the prescription of this drug is not recommended in case of breastfeeding.
- Combinations not recommended : non-antiarrhythmic drugs giving torsades de pointes (astemizole, bepridil, erythromycin IV, halofantrine, pentamidine, sparfloxacin, sultopride, terfenadine, vincamine).
Bacicolin side effects Bacitracin
- Possibility of transient local irritation: pruritus, swelling of the eyelids and conjunctival erythema.
- Risk of cutaneoconjunctival hypersensitivity reaction.
- In prolonged use: steroid-induced ocular hypertension, opacification of the crystalline lens, superficial keratitis due to the presence of corticosteroid.
- In cases of corneal or scleral ulceration, corticosteroids may delay healing and promote superinfection.