Generic drug of Tenormine
Therapeutic class: Cardiology and angiology
active ingredients: Atenolol
laboratory: Sanofi-Aventis France
Box of 90
· Prophylaxis of stress angina attacks.
· Acute myocardial infarction: relay of injectable form IV (Atenolol reduces mortality in the acute phase of myocardial infarction Treatment is instituted at the latest before the 12th hour.).
· Supraventricular arrhythmias:
o paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardias (as preventive or curative treatment),
o atrial fibrillation or flutter in case of insufficient response to digitalis at maximum doses and in cases where digitalis are contraindicated or have an adverse benefit / risk ratio.
· Ventricular arrhythmias:
o Ventricular extrasystoles (preventive or curative treatment) in case of extrasystoles resulting from an increase in sympathetic activity,
ventricular tachycardias and ventricular fibrillations (preventive treatment), especially when the ventricular anomaly results from significant sympathetic activity.
Dosage ATENOLOL ZENTIVA 100 mg scored tablet Box of 90
1 tablet at 100 mg daily, preferably in the morning.
The antihypertensive activity of atenolol justifies its use as monotherapy at 1 tablet per day. However, in cases of severe hypertension, a higher dosage may be necessary.
The combination with other antihypertensive therapies, for example with diuretics, is possible.
Prophylaxis of stress angina attacks
The average dosage is 1 tablet to 100 mg per day, it can be increased to 2 tablets per day if necessary.
Acute myocardial infarction
Relay of the IV form The relay is taken by 50 mg per os 15 minutes after injection. This dose is renewed 12 hours later. At the 24th hour, then once a day until the 10th day, administer 100 mg orally (1 tablet).
After controlling for rhythm disturbances with intravenous atenolol (if indicated), atenolol will be administered orally and the recommended maintenance dose is 50 to 100 mg / day.
In case of kidney failure
The dosage is adjusted to the values of serum creatinine or creatinine clearance according to the table below:
Creatinine clearance ( CR Cl)
mg / l
mmol / l
(ml / min / 1.73 m 2 )
25 - 50
0.3 - 0.6
15 ≤ Cl CR <35
1 x 50 mg / d
1 x 25 mg / day, ½ tablet daily 50 mg or 1 x 50 mg every 2 days
Chronic hemodialysis: treatment initiated in hospital
50 mg after each session
The 50 mg tablet should be, depending on the case, preferred over that dosed at 100 mg.
This medicine MUST NEVER be used in the following cases:
· Asthma and obstructive chronic bronchopneumopathies in their severe forms,
· Heart failure not controlled by treatment,
· Cardiogenic shock,
· Non-paired second and third degree atrioventricular blocks,
· Prinzmetal's angina (in pure forms and monotherapy),
· Sinus disease (including sinoatrial block),
· Bradycardia (<45 - 50 beats per minute),
· Raynaud's phenomenon and peripheral arterial disorders in their severe forms,
· Untreated pheochromocytoma,
Hypersensitivity to atenolol,
· History of anaphylactic reaction,
· Combination with floctafenine, sultopride (see section 4.5).
Side effects Atenolol Zentiva
The most frequently reported:
· Cooling of the ends,
· Bradycardia, severe if any,
· Digestive disorders (gastralgia, nausea, vomiting),
Much less often:
· Slowing of atrioventricular conduction or intensification of an existing atrioventricular block,
· heart failure,
· Blood pressure drop,
· Raynaud's syndrome,
· Aggravation of an existing intermittent claudication,
· Various skin manifestations including psoriasiform eruptions.
In rare cases, it has been possible to observe the appearance of antinuclear antibodies which only exceptionally accompany clinical manifestations such as lupus syndrome and cede at the end of treatment.
Exceptional elevations of hepatic transaminases (as well as some cases of intrahepatic cholestasis).