Generic Drug Therapeutic Class: Neurology-Psychiatry
Active ingredients: Trihexyphenidyl hydrochloride
laboratory: Sanofi-Aventis France
Box of 5 ampoules of 5 ml
- Parkinson disease.
Parkinsonian syndromes induced by neuroleptics.
Dosage ARTANE 10 mg / 5 mL Solution for injection Box of 5 ampoules of 5 ml
1/2 to 3 ampoules per day IM (ie 5 to 30 mg / day).
Since the solvent of the specialty is hydro-organic (presence of propylene glycol), in the case of the use of a plastic syringe, the injection must be carried out immediately after introduction of the solution into the syringe.
- Known allergy to any of the components of this medicine.
- Risk of glaucoma by closing the angle.
- Risk of urinary retention related to urethroprostatic disorders.
- Decompensated heart disease.
NOT RECOMMENDED :
- Pregnancy: animal data are insufficient to conclude. During the first trimester of pregnancy, clinical data for trihexyphenidyl, to date, although limited, do not support an increase in malformation risk. In the newborn, treatment with trihexyphenidyl at the end of pregnancy may be responsible for effects related to its atropine properties (tachycardia, hyperexcitability, urinary retention, delay in the emission of meconium). Given these data, it is best to avoid using trihexyphenidyl during pregnancy, regardless of the term. If trihexyphenidyl treatment is necessary during pregnancy, consider the effects described above for monitoring the newborn.
- Breast-feeding: because of the atropine effect, breast-feeding is not recommended.
Artane side effects
At doses usually used in therapeutics, undesirable effects, most often of the atropine type, can be observed such as: dryness of the mouth, disturbances of accommodation, ocular hypertension, disturbances and constipation.
In general, these effects are more common in the elderly who may exhibit hallucination and mental confusion.
A few cases of:
- suppurative parotitis, secondary to dry mouth,
- skin rashes,
- dilation of the colon,
- paralytic ileus.