Generic Drug Therapeutic Class: Neurology-Psychiatry
active ingredients: Trihexyphenidyl
laboratory: Sanofi-Aventis France
Oral solution drops
Dropper bottle of 100 ml
- Parkinson disease.
Parkinsonian syndromes induced by neuroleptics.
Dosage ARTANE 0.4% Oral solution in drops Dropper bottle of 100 ml
- Parkinson disease :
4 to 10 mg daily in 2 to 3 doses.
- Extrapyramidal syndromes of neuroleptics:
. adult : 4 to 15 mg daily in 2 to 3 doses.
. elderly : it is recommended not to exceed 10 mg per day in 2 doses.
. child : 2 to 6 mg per day depending on age in 2 to 3 doses.
- Known allergy to any of the components of this medicine.
- Risk of glaucoma by closing the angle.
- Risk of urinary retention related to urethroprostatic disorders.
- Decompensated heart disease.
- Due to the presence of sucrose, this drug is contraindicated in cases of fructose intolerance, glucose-galactose malabsorption syndrome, or sucrase-isomaltase deficiency.
NOT RECOMMENDED :
- This medicine containing alcohol is not recommended for pregnant women. It is recommended to use another dosage form that does not contain alcohol.
- Pregnancy: animal data are insufficient to conclude. During the first trimester of pregnancy, clinical data for trihexyphenidyl, to date, although limited, do not support an increase in malformation risk. In the newborn, treatment with trihexyphenidyl at the end of pregnancy may be responsible for effects related to its atropine properties (tachycardia, hyperexcitability, urinary retention, delay in the emission of meconium). Given these data, it is best to avoid using trihexyphenidyl during pregnancy, regardless of the term. If trihexyphenidyl treatment is necessary during pregnancy, consider the effects described above for monitoring the newborn.
- Breast-feeding: because of the atropine effect, breast-feeding is not recommended.
Artane side effects
At doses usually used in therapeutics, undesirable effects, most often of the atropine type, can be observed such as: dryness of the mouth, disturbances of accommodation, ocular hypertension, disturbances and constipation.
In general, these effects are more common in the elderly who may exhibit hallucination and mental confusion.
A few cases of:
- suppurative parotitis, secondary to dry mouth,
- skin rashes,
- dilation of the colon,
- paralytic ileus.