Some medications can facilitate smoking cessation:
> Bupropion : better known as Zyban®. It is an antidepressant for smoking cessation help. Treatment must be started before weaning begins.
> Varenicline : marketed under the trade name Champix®. It is quite often prescribed by doctors. In December 2007, our health authorities (Afssaps) asked that the drug's leaflet mention that people taking this medication have had symptoms of depression, suicidal thoughts.
Tobacco: Are you sure you know everything?
Tobacco can cause erectile dysfunction, impair fertility, help lose weight ... True or false? Take our quiz to find out!
In addition to medications, there are other solutions and therapies to ease weaning. Here is a list (not exhaustive):
- Treatment by your doctor or in a center specializing in tobacco. There are about 600 in France.
- Psychotherapeutic care, especially cognitive-behavioral. At most, there are methods of aversive deconditioning that try to disgust cigarette smokers by associating the taste of tobacco to very unpleasant sensations (smoking chain ...).
- The auriculopuncture.
- Speech groups are sometimes offered.
- A healthy lifestyle is always necessary. It is particularly recommended to limit the excitants like coffee or tea.
- The practice of a sport will allow to relax while fighting against the weight gain favored by the stop of the tobacco.
As for the electronic cigarette : no study shows that it is an effective means for smoking cessation. Nor is it considered safe ... far from it, by our health authorities. However, some doctors believe that in people smoking electronic cigarettes, this can be a way to get rid of this dependence, and it will help people to get rid of it if they wish (whether the cigarettes are real or electronic) .Want to share, share your experience or need advice? Appointment in our FORUMS Dependency, Well-being or A doctor answers you!
Read also :
> Electronic cigarette: Vape, is it safe?
> Acupuncture against stress
> Hypnosis to stop smoking