Generic drug of the therapeutic class: Metabolism and nutrition
active ingredients: Vitamin A
laboratory: Bayer Family Sante
Case of 30
Curative treatment of vitamin A deficiency
Dosage AROVIT ROCHE 50000 IU Coated Tablet Case of 30
Reserved for adults and children over 8 years old.
1 to 2 tablets per dose every 10 to 15 days until reconstitution of normal liver, without prolonging treatment unnecessarily to avoid chronic intoxication (see overdose).
- Hyper-sensitivity to one of the compounds.
- Chronic malabsorption.
- Lipid absorption disorders.
- Associated therapeutics interfering with the absorption of vitamin A.
NOT RECOMMENDED :
Breast-feeding: Use is not recommended when breastfeeding because of the risk of overdose in the newborn.
Arovit Roche adverse effects
Any adverse event is likely to be a manifestation of overdose and results in suspension of treatment.
Clinical signs resulting from the administration of excessive doses of vitamin A:
- Acute overdose (doses greater than 150000 IU):
Digestive disorders, headache, intracranial hypertension (manifested in infants by bulging fontanel), papilledema, psychiatric disorders, irritability, convulsions, delayed generalized desquamation.
- Chronic overdose (risk of chronic intoxication during prolonged intake of vitamin A at supra-physiological doses in a non-deficient patient):
Intracranial hypertension, cortical hyperostosis of long bones and early epiphyseal fusion. The diagnosis is generally focused on the observation of subcutaneous swelling sensitive or painful extremities of the limbs. The radiographs show a perisotic diaphyseal thickening in the ulna, fibula, clavicles and ribs.