Generic drug of the therapeutic class: Metabolism and nutrition
active ingredients: Alfacalcidol
laboratory: Teva Pharma
Box of 30
- Renal osteodystrophy:
. curative treatment of radiologically obvious renal osteodystrophy and / or elevation of alkaline phosphatase and hypocalcemia (<95 mg / L) in renal insufficiency with a creatinine clearance <30 ml / min and in hemodialysis;
. preventive treatment of renal osteodystrophy only in children with renal insufficiency but not in adults.
- Pseudo-motor rickets.
- Rachitism and osteomalacia by vitamin-resisting hypophosphatemia in association with a supplement of phosphates.
- Hypoparathyroidism and pseudohypoparathyroidism.
- Prevention of post-parathyroidectomy hypocalcemia in primary or tertiary hyperparathyroidism.
Dosage ALFACALCIDOL TEVA 0.25 μg Soft capsule Box of 30
Swallow the capsules with a little water, without sucking, chewing or chewing.
- Renal osteodystrophy:
. curative treatment :
. in adults: 1 to 2 micrograms / day,
. in children under 20 kg: 1 microgram / day.
It is nevertheless prudent to start treatment with:
. 0.5 to 1 microgram / day in adults,
. 0.05 microgram / kg / day in children under 20 kg.
The dose is then eventually adjusted to obtain a normal phosphocalcic product.
. preventive treatment (only in children):
0.5 to 1 microgram / day.
- Pseudo-motor rickets
. 2 to 4 micrograms / day in treatment of attack,
. 0.75 to 2 micrograms / day in maintenance treatment,
. 5 to 8 micrograms / day in the form with alopecia by combining with a supplement of phosphates.
- Rachitism and osteomalacia by vitamin-resisting hypophosphatemia:
1 to 6 micrograms / day by combining with a supplement of phosphates.
- Hypoparathyroidism and pseudohypoparathyroidism:
1 to 3 micrograms / day in adults and children.
- Hyperphosphoremia (except that of hypoparathyroidism).
Due to the presence of sorbitol, this drug is contraindicated in people with fructose intolerance.
NOT RECOMMENDED :
Associations advised against : barbiturates; antacids containing magnesium.
Adverse effects Alfacalcidol Teva
- In patients with renal insufficiency: the major risk of alfacalcidol is hypercalcemia and hyperphosphoremia leading to calcifications of the soft tissues (cornea, conjunctiva, skin, vessel, kidneys) that may bring into play the functional and vital prognosis.
- In hypoparathyroidism and hypophosphatemic vitamin-deficient non-renal insufficiency: the risk here is that of hypercalcemia and hypercalciuria. It can be prevented by stopping alfacalcidol when calciuria exceeds 6 mg / kg / 24 h.
- Due to the presence of peanut oil, there is a risk of hypersensitivity reactions (anaphylactic shock, urticaria).