Generic drug of Zovirax
Therapeutic class: Infectiology - Parasitology
active ingredients: Aciclovir
laboratory: Sanofi-Aventis France
Powder for IV infusion solution
- In the immunocompromised subject: Varicella Zona virus (VZV) infections, Herpes Simplex virus infection (HSV).
- In the immunocompetent subject:
. shingles by the extension or progression of the lesions,
. severe herpes genital primo-infection,
- Treatment of herpes meningoencephalitis.
Dosage ACICLOVIR DAKOTA PHARM 500 mg Powder for solution for infusion Box of 5 vials of 500 mg
- In adults:
. Herpes simplex virus (HSV) infections (except meningoencephalitis) : 5 mg / kg every 8 hours.
. Varicella Zona virus (VZV) infections : 10 mg / kg every 8 hours.
. Herpetic meningoencephalitis : 10 mg / kg every 8 hours.
- In children older than 3 months, it is necessary to calculate the dose according to body surface area:
. HSV infection (except meningoencephalitis) or VZV : 250 mg / m² every 8 hours.
. Meningoencephalitis with HSV or severe VZV infection in immunocompromised children : 500 mg / m² every 8 hours.
- In the newborn: the dose of 10 mg / kg every 8 hours seems the most suitable.
- In patients with renal insufficiency, the interval between two administrations and the posology will be adapted according to the clearance of creatinine:
Creatinine clearance: Unit dose / Frequency.
. 25-50 ml / min :
5 mg / kg for HSV infections / 2 times per 24 hours.
10 mg / kg for VZV infections and herpes meningoencephalitis / 2 times per 24 hours.
. 10-25 ml / min :
5 mg / kg for HSV infections / 1 time per 24 hours.
10 mg / kg for VZV infections and herpes meningoencephalitis / once every 24 hours.
. 0-10 ml / min :
2.5 mg / kg for HSV infections / 1 time per 24 hours.
5 mg / kg for VZV infections and herpes meningoencephalitis / once every 24 hours.
On the day of hemodialysis, the dose should be administered after dialysis.
Administration mode :
- Intravenous strict route.
- Each dose will be injected intravenously (by pump or infusion) in one hour minimum.
- The duration of the treatment is in general:
. from 8 to 10 days for Herpes simplex or Varicella Zona virus infections,
. 10 days for the treatment of herpes meningoencephalitis,
it must be adapted according to the state of the patient and his response to treatment.
- This medication should not be used if you have a history of hypersensitivity to aciclovir.
- Breast-feeding: After oral administration of aciclovir at a dose of 200 mg 5 times daily, aciclovir was detected in breast milk at concentrations ranging from 0.6 to 4.1 times the plasma concentration of aciclovir. This corresponds to infant administration of aciclovir doses not exceeding 0.3 mg / kg / day, a low dose compared to the 30 mg / kg / day dose used for the treatment of neonatal herpes infections. Although the quantity provided by milk appears to be low compared with the doses used in the treatment of herpetic encephalitis in the newborn, it seems preferable to avoid exposing the infant to even low doses of antiviral .
Adverse effects Aciclovir Dakota Pharm
- Rare mild rashes regressing when treatment is stopped.
- Kidney problems with increased blood urea and creatinine occurring most often after intravenous administration too fast. They can be avoided by respecting the dosages, the precautions of use and the speed of administration.
- Some observations of regressive neurological disorders (in particular ebbing sensations, confusion, hallucinations, somnolence) have been reported: they are usually renal insufficiency patients who have received doses above the recommended dosage or at risk patients (especially the elderly - see section warnings and precautions for use).
- Digestive disorders, increased levels of bilirubin or transaminases, headache, asthenia. These disorders are rare and benign, they have always regressed, sometimes even despite the continuation of treatment.
- Rare skin lesions instead of injection, which can exceptionally go to necrosis, in case of extravasation or insufficient dilution of the solution (see paragraph instructions for use, handling and disposal). These side effects are related to the alkaline pH of this medicine.